If you’re from The Netherlands like me or if you’ve seen Pulp Fiction several times, also like me, you know us Dutchies like our mayonnaise. Sometimes we put it on sandwiches, but mostly we put it on our fries. Or as Vincent Vega says it in the movie: we “fucking drown ’em in that shit”.
Unfortunately, since going vegan, I couldn’t get fries any more after going to see a soccer game. Enter: vegan mayonnaise. I spent a long time looking for the perfect recipe (that’s why I’m a little later than usual with this recipe) but I’m pretty sure this egg free mayo is among the best you’ll ever taste.
But I like my mayonnaise on a sandwich
If your not Dutch or just not a weirdo, I got you covered too. Next recipe on the blog will be a sandwich. Who’s down with fish-free tuna salad?
Whether you put it on a sandwich or on your fries (like us Dutchies) this vegan mayonnaise kicks ass. Whip it up in under 10 minutes.
- 3 tbsp chickpea juice Scoop it out of a jar of chickpeas If you use canned chickpeas, try to go for a can that doesn't contain BPA (most do)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice You can use (apple cider) vinegar instead
- 1 tsp mustard I use spicy, Dijon mustard. Use 2 tsp if you have regular mustard
- 10 chickpeas You have a jar (or can) of chickpeas, use them!
- 1/2 cup olive oil I suggest using mild olive oil, but if you like a stronger taste knock yourself out and go for extra virgin oil
- pepper and salt To taste
Put everything except the oil in a blender or small kitchen processor. While blending, slowly add the oil. Stick to the measurements in this recipe! If you add more oil like I did once because the mayo is still too thick, just add a few drips at a time or you'll mess it up.