I like big burgers and I cannot lie. Everybody likes burgers and plant-based burgers are incredibly versatile. Join me on my quest for the perfect vegan burger. Perfection is a matter of taste of course, but in my book it also means they gotta be easy and quick to make.
These black bean and seaweed burgers tick all of those boxes. I’ve made them several times but the beauty is I never dared changing the recipe like I usually do when I remake a dish. They’re also protein packed, so they’re an excellent choice after a workout. God, how am I gonna outdo these burgers? This might be a very short quest…
And did I mention they also work great on a grill? Just put them on a sheet of tinfoil with a few holes in it.
Seaweed Black Bean Burgers
- 250 grams mushrooms
- 1 onion preferably red
- 1 clove garlic
- 6 to 8 tbsp oats Depending on how wet your beans are. Too wet makes it difficult to form burgers
- 1 can black beans Rinsed
- 1 sheet nori seaweed Sushi sheets
- 1 tbsp chilli powder Less if you're sensitive to spice
- 1 pinch salt Or more to taste
- 1 flat bread (or burger buns)
- 1 avocado
- 1 tomato
- 1 handful fresh spinach washed
Roughly cut up the onion garlic and mushrooms and add them to your kitchen processor (or just manually chop them up really good) along with the oats and nori sheet. Pulse it a few times to mix it up nicely them add the chilli powder, salt and beans and pulse again. Taste the mixture. This is your chance to add more spices if you like. Moisten your hands and make 7 or 8 small patties.Heat up a pan and add a little oil for baking. Gently bake your burgers until brown on both sides. I say gently, because plant based burgers will always at least be a little bit crumbly so you shouldn't serve them too raw.
- You can serve your burgers however you like and there are faster ways, but making buns like this will blow your mind. Start of by flattening your flatbread even more. Just put them between to cutting boards and put some weight on them. Cut them into pieces a little bigger than your burgers. Heat up a grill (pan) and put your super thin soon to be rolls on them until they stripe up.Cut up the avocado and tomato in slices to add to your buns. Make sure your spinach is properly washed and add it to the bun. Lastly add the burgers.I like to eat them 'naked' like this, but feel free to add your favorite burger sauce.